Denver, the capital of the State of Colorado, situated in the South Platte River Valley, is nicknamed “The Mile High City” because of its exact one mile high elevation above sea level. It’s no wonder that Denver is one of the USA’s highest major cities.
Ranked as the Beta World City in 2014, Denver was formerly a gold mining town founded in November 1858. Today, Denver has become a popular vacation hotspot for all those seeking breathtaking views of the Rockies and enjoying winter sports at some of the excellent ski resorts here.
Denver offers a base for the adventurous and outdoors enthusiasts to venture into the Rockies, particularly for all those looking for a great mountain experience. The Mile High City is also a great destination for families and foodies. Here are some of the best things to do during your Denver holidays.
- Red Rocks Park is a big draw for outdoors enthusiasts with its excellent views of the Rocky Mountains, cinnamon-hued sandstone cliffs and miles of hiking trails
- Visit the Denver Art Museum where you will find galleries showcasing more than 70,000 works by famous artists such as Winslow Homer and Vincent Van Gogh
- Take a guided tour of the Molly Brown House Museum to catch a glimpse of Victorian life, city's history and the life of one of its most affluent and fascinating residents
- Explore the city's Union Station, which functions as a working public transit station as well as a highly acclaimed dining and shopping center
- Take a free guided tour of the United States Mint in Denver to learn about coin production
- Spend some time relishing the traditional cuisines and sipping beer in the bustling Larimer Square
Interesting Facts about Denver
Before planning a vacation to Denver, here are some of the interesting facts you need to know about this fascinating city.
- Denver offers 140-miles-long panoramic mountain views. There are at least 200 mountain peaks visible from Denver
- Denver is nicknamed “Mile High City” because it is exactly one mile high (5,280 feet or 1,609 meters) above sea level
- Denver is home to one of the largest downtowns in the USA. It is also one of the most walkable downtowns in the country. Within one mile of downtown’s radius you will find a river, three sports stadiums, a mint, museums, a performing arts center, an aquarium and a theme and water park
- With its sunny, mild and dry climate, Denver offers 300 days of sunshine in a year
- There are more than 200 parks within Denver and 20,000 acres of parks in the nearby mountains
With so much on offer for everyone, get the best Denver airlines deals now and visit the most amazing destinations in the United States.
What is the best time to fly to Denver?
The summer months of July and August are the perfect time to visit because of the good weather. Skiing enthusiasts and snowboarders visit Denver during the ski season running from mid-November to March.